Monday, May 29, 2006

May 2006 - Recent Notes and Postings - Pt. 2

My most recent NYC wine bargain find might be the 2001 Chateau Bourgneuf from Bordeaux’s Pomerol region. Sherry Lehmann has apparently purchased a huge lot of the wine directly from the chateau and is passing the savings on to its customers by offering it for $20 a bottle. It typically retails for $35. It’s very good and I’ve already chosen it for our New Year’s dinner in 2007!

As the summer heats up, you might also want to check out the 2005 Commanderie de Peyrassol from Provence and the 2004 Dr. L from Dr. Loosen in the Mosel Saar Ruwer region of Germany. Both are extremely refreshing and affordable. Perfect for any weekend picnic in Central Park.

Two other solid finds I’ve come across in May include Warre’s Otima, a 10 Year Old Tawny Port that reminds me of Christmas. There also a solid sparkling wine from Gruet in New Mexico, a refreshing crisp blanc de noir.

Also noted is a recent experience I had with WineBid.com, an e-bay like auction site for wine that lead me to a very affordable 1982 Bordeaux.

No comments: