Saturday, January 27, 2007

2005 Loimer - Gruner Veltliner (Austria)

Anyone seeing a movie or performance at BAM (Brooklyn Academy of Music) might want to think about stopping at Thomas Beisl right across the main enterance on Lafayette St. I won’t try to be a restaurant critic here (I tried that once already) but the wine list is fun and affordable with the majority being Austrian selections.

We had a $32 bottle of 2005 Gruner Veltliner from Loimer which is located in the Kamptal region of Austria.

Straw hay color with a greenish hue. Very tart green apple on the nose with a little hint of line. There is a zing of acidity which lends itself to a sharp and crisp texture and a clean finish.

Overall, I’d give this wine a B- but what I like the fact that it was something different and away from all the rieslings and chardonnays. I’d definitly go back and explore more of their list.

PS – The service was exlempary too.

No comments: