Wednesday, January 10, 2007

2004 Cairanne Cote du Rhone Villages-Domaine Cahterine le Goeuil

I am becoming more and more convinced that Côtes du Rhône might be my favorite everyday wine. I’ve yet to be disappointed with any I’ve tried in the $10-$20 price range. I generally find then smooth, lush, aromatic, and they go very well with rich wintertime food.

The 2004 Cairanne from Domaine Catherine Le Goeuil is the latest find. It’s a Côtes du Rhône Villages and a blend of Grenache, Syrah, and Mourvedre. Cairanne is a parcel in the Cotes du Rhone Villages appellation.

The wine is dark red, almost garnet in color. When first opened, there where strong notes of tar that disappated over time as the wine softened, leaving lovely earthy aromatics of dark berry and cedar. Nice balance between firm tanning and acidity. Medium long finish that grips the tongue.

This lovely wine can be found at Chelsea Wine Vault for the result price of $16 or for $14.50 during the month of January '07.

I would definitely recommend this wine to anyone who likes the Rhone varietals and appreciates a good value. Imported by Kermit Lynch.

No comments: