Sunday, January 21, 2007

2000 Beni di Batasiolo Barbaresco (Italy-Piedmont)

So…. Let me just say upfront that I have little to no experience with Barbaresco so it’s possible that my judgments on this wine might be colored by inexperience. That said, I think this wine if fantastic and it might also be one of the best wine deals of the year. I found it selling for $20 at Warehouse Wines & Spirits in Greenwich Village. Its release price was $35 in 2003 and it can be found online for about $30. Wine Spectator like it so much that they anointed it as their #94 Wine of the Year in 2003.

Medium red color. A little lighter than I thought Barbarescos were. Dried fruit aromas… fig and some prune. Blackberry… Bilberry…(ok. That one was from the Le Nez du Vin) and a hint of cocoa. There is also a nice floral Rose quality to the wine. Dry. This wine has some real grip. Not quite lush but it has some nice texture and a medium long finish. Very nice overall and way above its $20 price tag in quality.

No comments: