Thursday, June 08, 2006

2002 Fiefs de Lagrange (St. Julien - Bordeaux)

Fiefs de Lagrange is the second wine of Chateau Lagrange from the St. Julien region of Bordeaux. I consider Lagrange to one of the best values in Bordeaux as prices for the Grand Vin typically range from $30 to $50 in great vintages (i.e. the 2005 for example). The Fiefs de Lagrange is consistently a quality wine and a real bargain as it typically ranges from $15 to the low $20 range. The 2005 can be had as a future for $22 from Zachys in Scarsdale. This is where I bought the 2002 Fiefs for the incredible low price of $12 about 6 months ago although I have not seen that price before or since and I haven’t even been able to find the wine anywhere else.

The 2002 Fiefs de Lagrange is young and full bodied. Deep garnet in color with black currant, spice, tobacco, and chocolate. It has a nice chewy texture and a long finish. The wine isn’t as massive as the 2002 Lagrange but its close. This wine probably can probably stand at least two to three more years of bottle age to soften up.

Like I mentioned, I haven’t been able to find the 2002 anywhere since I found it at Zachys but just about any vintage of this wine is worth checking out.

No comments: