Monday, June 19, 2006

1999 Duhart-Milion (Pauillac - Bordeaux)

The 1999 Chateau Duhart-Milon from the Pauillac region of Bordeaux was another wine bought as a sort of test run to see if I like the style enough to seek out other vintages. This chateau is managed by Barons de Rothchild, the same owners of first gowth Lafite Rothschild in the same Pauillac region so my hopes were high.

The wine was very nice and I wasn’t disappointed but I wasn’t completely won over either. It is dark cherry red in color with earthy aromas of tobacco and leather to start, opening up into rich cassis and other dark fruits. Medium bodied with a soft tecture and a medium long finish.

D. Sokolin on Long Island carries this for $48 which is too much in my opinion. More reasonably it can be found at Morrell & Company in mid-town for $30 and Soho Wine & Spirits for $35. If you’re just looking for a taste, K&D Wines on the Upper East Side has half bottles for $23.

No comments: