Wednesday, April 12, 2006

2002 Willamette Valley Vineyards Pinot Noir (Oregon)

My past experience with wine clubs has been hit and miss. My wife and I have had three gift memberships given to us and we’ve subscribed on our own once. Three of those experiences have been with Wine.com which seems to have a decent market share of the business if you consider that they, along with The California Wine Club, rise to the top of the list in internet searches. While my own experiences have been limited, I intend to do some research and write more on the topic at a later date.

In the meantime, today’s selection comes from Wine.com’s “Big Bold Reds” club. It’s the 2002 Willamette Valley Vineyards Pinot Noir.

The wine is brick red in color with spice, notably nutmeg, and dark fruit, leaning towards a black cherry, on the nose. The oak has made its presence known but not in an overbearing way. Overall it has a soft texture and a medium long finish. It’s good wine for immediate consumption that I’d feel good about bringing to a party.

The club is selling this wine on special for $10.99 as a special with a regular price of $18.99. As a $20 Pinot I think it’s ok but not great as I’ve had various other fantastic Pinots for just a few dollars more. However, I think it’s a terrific value at $10.99 . I haven’t come across this wine in any of the New York City shops I’ve been to recently but it doesn’t mean its not out there. A quick internet search leads me to believe that if you do find it, the price will probably fall in the $15-$19 range. At that point, you’ll have to judge for yourself.

No comments: