Monday, April 24, 2006

2000 Poggio Antico (Brunello di Montalcino - Tuscany)

Poggio Antico is one of my personal favorites when it comes to my somewhat limited experience with Brunellos. However, from what I have tasted from this producer, I’ve yet to be disappointed.

The 2000 Poggio Antico is very dark red in color. There’s a smoky characteristic on the nose with notes of cedar and tobacco. Dark fruit is prevalent with what I thought were notes of blackberry but there are also hints of chocolate. It’s a big wine with a long, lingering finish. However, even for its size, it still shows some finesse. I would recommend decanting for at least an hour before serving. I think this is an excellent wine although I’ve liked other vintages a little bit better including the 1999.

I was able to taste this wine at Landmarc, a restaurant in Tribeca which has an excellent wine program where they offer most of their wines at very close to retain price. This cost $75 which is very close to the wine’s suggested retail price. In fact, Zachy’s sells this for $75 while Morrell’s has it for $65.

No comments: