Wednesday, June 08, 2005

2002 Rodney Strong Cabernet Sauvignon (Sonoma County)

This is one of my favorite “great value” wines. I think it’s a solid cabernet sauvignon from California at a very reasonable price. First off, Rodney Strong is a Sonoma, California based winery and maybe the price is reasonable because it’s not Napa. Just a guess. Still, the 2002 is a nice medium bodied with noticeable tannins and a dark ruby color. It could still stand a year or two of bottle age if you are inclined to hold on to it. Rather than tasting of oak, the wood is more like cedar with a rich blackberry cocoa flavor. After sitting for a little bit, more of the black cherry and vanilla emerge.

If you find the 2000 in the store, buy it. It’s awesome and very refined for the price. The 2001, not so much. The 2002, right in the middle in my opinion.

I bought my bottle at Garnet Wine on 68th and Lex. This wine is cheaper here than anywhere else I’ve seen it but I have seen it in other wine stores around the city.

No comments: