Sunday, December 17, 2006

2002 Merry Edwards Russian River Valley Pinot Noir (Sonoma)

All I can say is that it sometimes pays off to check out WineBid.com for the listing of wines without bids. This was a steal for $20. A hard to find wine that I’ve been wanting to try for a while.

It has a ruby red color that thins out some towards the edges. Definite raspberry and a slight hint of blueberry with a little bit of a smoky essence. Medium bodied with a soft smooth texture leading to a medium long finish.

This wine is a nice “breath of fresh air” from some of the bigger and more extracted Central Coast pinots I’m more familiar with such as Sea Smoke and Loring. Some with more experience than I might also call this “burgundian.” My next step is to try to sample more if Merry Edwards wines to see if this is her overall style. If yes, I might find myself moving in another direction with pinot as I expand my palate.

No comments: